Professionals and Practitioners


We encourage research as a valuable learning tool. We also have a duty of care to our service users, their families, carers and our staff. Hampshire County Council will ensure that research and related activities involving staff and service users, carers or their data are conducted ethically and to the highest standards possible.

Undertaking research in Hampshire County Council: Research Governance Framework

Research Governance Leaflet Download Acrobat Reader to view this PDF 528kb

EasyRead Research Governance Leaflet Download Acrobat Reader to view this PDF 2mb for people planning research, evaluation or consultation.

  • External organisations or researchers

    Before an external organisation or individual not employed by Hampshire County Council, including students, can undertake research with social care staff or service users they need to satisfy the requirements of the Department of Health’s Research Governance Framework.

    Within Hampshire all research proposals must be reviewed and approved by Research Development and Governance Panel before any research activity can commence.

    More information is provided on the
    Research Governance Framework and how to submit a proposal to the Research Development and Governance Panel.

  • Employees of Hampshire County Council

    If you are employed by Hampshire County Council and wish to undertake research or 'research-like' activity (e.g. consultation) with social care staff or service users you need to follow our Departmental Procedure
    43/09 Research Governance- Internal Approval Process

Social Care research that has been performed in Hampshire

Information on social care research that has been conducted in Hampshire over the last 5 years is available by contacting the Research Manager, Rachel Dittrich:

Recent reports include:  Innovative use of Carers Direct Payments: ideas from good practice by Rachel Dittrich, August 2013