Armed Forces

support and advice for Armed Forces personnel and veterans

Finding information and support

COBSEO The Confederation of Serving Charities

COBSEO represents the whole Serving and Veterans Community - some 3.4 million people and their dependants. Membership of COBSEO is open to all those organisations whose primary purpose is to promote and further the welfare and general interests of Service.

Find out more about the specialist organisations which offer help and support

Find services in Hampshire

Use the list below to find information and advice for support in Hampshire

View Finding services in Hampshire

What are you looking for?


Advice and Information

Please contact Adult Services Tel: 0300 555 1386

Monday - Thursday 8.30am to 5pm
Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm

All other times and for Weekends and Bank Holidays please use the Out of Hours number: 0300 555 1373

The helpline is staffed by social workers and other specialists who are trained to provide relevant information and advice on assessments, community support and help with finding local services.


Benefits and finance

The Royal British Legion, The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund and Citizens Advice operate a unique Benefits and Money Advice Service in order to help provide dedicated benefits and money advice to the Serving and ex-Serving community, and their dependants.

Other helpful links

Blue badge

The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport  and allows the holder to use designated parking spaces, free parking at parking meters and in some circumstance parking on single or double yellow lines.

Use these links if you live in


Carers and family support

Carers in Hampshire provide many hours of unpaid support to friends, family and neighbours in the community. There is a range of support and information services for carers.

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Hampshire also provide a range of services and can signpost carers to local support.

The Carers Direct website has local service information and lists information about the free carers helpline.


Find local childcare, family services and support, advice and information.

  • Hampshire Childcare and Family Information Team - for information and guidance on childcare, early years education and related services for children and young people aged 0 -19 (including those with additional needs)
  • The Hampshire Family Information Directory ·- to search for childcare and family services
  • Hampshire’s Supporting (Troubled) Families Programme - working with partners from across the public sector over the next three years to improve support and provide early help for families with complex needs
  • Progress programme - a programme of help to inspire and coach you and your family to go further. Progress! aims to help you personally by providing a Progress Coach who will support you in taking practical steps to improve your situation, helping you tackle some of the problems which might be keeping your life on hold.
  • Family lives  - for a confidential help line free from landlines and most mobiles
Use these links if you live in

Community Alarms


Domestic abuse

If you are at risk because of domestic abuse, there are many ways to find help and support in Hampshire.

Tel: 999  - for emergencies
Tel: 0845 045 45 45 - to contact the Police
Tel: 0808 2000 247 - for the National Domestic Violence Helpline

Dual sensory loss

Information for people with a dual loss (combined sight and hearing loss) see

  • Sensory loss


Education and access to schools

Parents must ensure that their school-age children receive full-time education suitable to their age, ability and any special educational needs they may have.

Information and support to Service families and eligible MOD civilians on all aspects of the education of their children in the UK and overseas.

Reading Force - a fun new reading scheme for Forces family and friends. All Forces families are invited to participate. Taking part is free, fun and easy



Search for your local hospitals, GPs, dentists and pharmacies as well as common conditions and medicine information.

You can find health advice online.

Hearing loss

The Adult Services Department supports people with a hearing loss to live as independently as possible. Find out more about registration and support. on the

  • Sensory loss pages

Home care

If you are having difficulty living independently at home you can get services to help you. This may be some equipment, a carer to help with daily tasks or a meals on wheels service, for example.

  • Home care - information and links

Use these links if you live in

Housing and homelessness

The Joint Services Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides an excellent range of advice on civilian housing options for Service Persons and their dependants and to Ex-Service personnel still occupying Service Accommodation.

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services, SPACES, is designed to help single ex-regulars find appropriate accommodation when they leave the services.

  • Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services, SPACES

Approximately 77% of people in Hampshire are owner occupiers. The remainder live in rented properties which include both private and social rented housing.

If you are looking for advice or information about rented accommodation please contact your local district council Housing Options Team.

Based on your particular circumstances, they can advise on the best options for you including providing information about both private rented and social housing.

You can also use the Housing Support Services

Supporting People is a government funded programme that aims to offer vulnerable people the housing related support they need to live independently.

  • Find out more information on the Supporting People web page

  • Access services - for advice and local contacts

Use these links if you live in


Learning disabilities

Hampshire County Council helps people with learning disabilities to be as independent as possible and play a part in their local community. We do this in partnership with local health agencies, housing authorities, independent providers and voluntary organisation

  • Learning disabilities

  • Support groups


Mental health

Mental ill-health covers a wide range of problems, from worries and grief that we all experience as part of everyday life to problems such as post traumatic stress disorder or depression. Mental health problems can affect anyone and may also have an impact on the people around them, such as family and friends.

To access help, contact your GP who may refer you for further help at the surgery or to your local community Mental Health team who will arrange any help or care that you might need.

  • Mental health - information and support for people with mental health problems

  • Combat Stress:
    Combat Stress is the UK's leading charity that specialises in the treatment and support of British Armed Forces Veterans who have mental health problems.

  • Mind

  • Rethink

  • Self help guides from Northumberland, Tyne and Weir NHS Foundation Trust

Veterans Outreach Support Portsmouth
Drop in Centre
1400 – 1900,  1st Wednesday of each month

Veterans Outreach Support run a drop in centre at the Royal Maritime Club in Queen Street, Portsmouth, PO1 3HS. PO1 3HS PO1 3HS and provides veterans with the chance to seek advice and also to meet and chat to other Veterans. No appointment is necessary.

If you would like to discuss your situation over the telephone you can also call Dr Morgan O’Connell, a former consultant psychiatrist at Combat Stress, on: 01329 834512. The answer phone system will ensure you receive a call back if there is no- one there to take your call.

Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Mental Health - Foreign and Commonwealth

The Hampshire BME Mental Health Community Development Officer Team is responsible for promoting health & wellbeing including mental health issues to all BME people who reside across the County. Following the launch of the Service Welfare Pathway Initiative in Hampshire last year, the Team is looking to extend its support to include service personnel and their families of the Foreign and Commonwealth origins.

Nepali groups


Older people's services

The independent living for older people web pages should help you to find a whole range of useful information for older people, not just from Hampshire County Council but also from partner agencies, district and borough councils, charities and voluntary organisations.


Physical disabilities

The Adult Services Department supports people with physical disabilities to live as independently as possible.

information and support concerning physical disabilities - with information on registration, help in the home,equipment, benefits, leisure, transport and support groups.


Sight loss

Information for people with sight loss on the

  • Sensory loss pages

Social care services

People may need social care or support during a crisis, because of their age, long term ill health or disability, or because they are caring for others. Most of the support given is designed to help people maintain their independence, so that they can continue to live in their own homes. A wide range of help and support is available.

Substance misuse services

If you need treatment or advice for a substance misuse problem, please refer to Hampshire Operational Model for Effective Recovery (HOMER) Changes to drug and alcohol treatment services Download Acrobat Reader to view this PDF 826kb which lists local services and the needle exchange and out of hours telephone numbers.



Telecare is a wide range of alarms and sensors that can enable people to live safely and independently in their own homes. It is available through Hampshire County Council's Adult Services Department, as well as from a wide range of district councils, community alarm providers and housing associations.

It can help improve confidence and minimise risks and can also provide peace of mind to carers and families. The most well known is the pendant alarm but there are many others, including falls detectors, bed sensors and smoke detectors.

Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)

A Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) can be useful to anyone when planning and managing their well-being. It is a simple self management tool which helps people gain more control over their well-being and is intended to help people plan for themselves how best to maintain wellness, reduce and better manage periods of illness

  • Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)

identity tags