Older People's Well-Being Team
What do we mean by well-being?There are lots of different definitions of well-being. Below are some comments made by older people at consultation events in September and October 2006:
- general feeling of feeling healthy and able to do what I want to do
- being involved in community, friends and family
- not being alone and isolated
- having people to care about and being cared for in return.
- providing a strategic approach to promoting and supporting older people to live as independently as possible in their own homes while maintaining their quality of life
- developing practical solutions with partners including older people themselves.
- addressing isolation and loneliness by improving access to, and the range of, social activities available for people to get involved with, such as leisure, learning and physical activities. This has a powerful effect on an individual’s mental and physical well-being
- developing ways of providing that little bit of help” at the right time, including shopping, a listening ear, support after bereavement and help with gardening. This can help break a person’s cycle of decline.
Partnership working has been at the centre of the teams work and has given us our success. We work in partnership across the county council and with organisations including district councils, health, voluntary and community organisations, the Pension Service, the Fire and Rescue Service and the Police. This way of working has also helped forge new alliances between organisations, which has resulted in more joined up working and the development of projects.
We have established a Joint Older People’s Well-Being Steering Group to take our work forward. This has representatives from county council departments, the voluntary sector and other organisations. The steering group has helped us develop and support the initiatives and projects we have developed.
We also have regular meetings with colleagues from the district and borough councils.
Head of Older People's Well-Being
Tel: 01962 847279
Tel: 01962 832039
Tel: 07850 570257
Falls Prevention Physical Activity Coordinator
Tel: 01962 846605
Trigger Tool Coordinator
Tel: 01962 833692