Staying at home

Home and garden maintenance

It is important to make sure that your home is maintained properly so that it is safe for you to live there. If you need support with the upkeep of your home or garden never agree to repairs offered at the door, always go to a reputable trader.

If you are a council tenant or or you own your own home and are responsible for paying for repairs, are elderly and/or disabled and have a low income, your local council can give you advice on whether you qualify for a grant to help pay for any work, and if so how to apply for one.

If you are a private tenant you should contact your landlord. If they are unwilling to carry out the work needed, you should contact your local housing department which may help your landlord carry out essential work.

If you are a Housing Association tenant you should contact your landlord.


General maintenance and gardening
Find help if you home or garden is in need of maintenance

buy with confidenceBuy with confidence
Find traders you can trust

telecare alarm

Information on the range of alarms and sensors available

Purple flowers

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment