Carers and family support

Looking after your health as a carer

It is often very stressful caring for someone else and can make you susceptible to illness and injury. The doctor can give you help advice if your own health is suffering because you are looking after someone else.

Training and support

Moving and handling people

If you are caring for someone who needs help moving out of a chair or up and down stairs you can get advice about lifting and other relevant training options, from your doctors surgery. A mobility assessment and, if appropriate mobility aid, would be provided by the person’s GP.

If this does not resolve the difficulties, then an Occupational Therapist could carry out a moving and handling assessment at the person’s home. If the situation is urgent, or anyone is in immediate need or at risk of injury, then please contact OT Direct for an urgent moving and handling assessment. The Occupational Therapist can discuss options with you.


Back care for carers

Without the right support carers may be prone to back injuries and back pain especially if they are caring for someone who needs moving on a regular basis. Older carers are particularly vulnerable the frailer they become and as they become subject to more degenerative conditions themselves.

BackCare, the charity for healthier backs, provides information about the causes, treatment and management of back pain. They publish a ‘Carers guide to safer moving and handling of patients’.

16 Elmtree Road,Teddington, Middlesex TW11 8ST
Tel 020 8977 5474
Helpline 0845 130 2704 for information and support on managing back pain


training for carers

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment