Carers and family support

Using the Shared Lives scheme

Shared Lives is for adults aged 18 or over who need help and support on a long or short term basis or even just for some time during the day. They may be a person with a learning disability, a physical disability, mental health problems or other health or sensory difficulties or unable to live alone because of their age.

What does the scheme offer?

  • a suitable arrangement to meet your needs
  • choice - you can choose to accept or reject any arrangement that is offered to you
  • encouragement to remain in touch with your family and friends if you wish to
  • the chance to meet new people in the comfort of a carer’s home
  • a stepping stone towards more independence and learning new skills
  • professional support throughout your placement

Read the case studies which are at the bottom right of this page, to find out more

Who provides the support?

Shared Lives carers provide accommodation, care and support in their own homes. The carers are carefully selected members of the public who are veted, trained and supported by Hampshire County Council Shared Lives staff.

Their application will have been approved by an independent panel of people who understand about Shared Lives. Their work is continuously supported and monitored by Shared Lives staff.

Who do I contact to discuss Shared Lives?

Shared Lives staff are always happy to talk to people who are interested in the scheme either for themselves or for a member of their family. Please contact Adult Services and ask for your nearest Shared Lives office.

However if you already have a care manager you should also have a chat with them.

It is important to be aware that as the Shared Lives Scheme is a completely personalised service it may not always be possible to “match” you with a carer who has the necessary skills or availability to meet your needs.

Who pays?

Shared Lives carers receive a fee for each placement that they offer.

For long stays you will pay the carer:

  • rent for your room - from your Housing Benefit
  • a standard amount for all of your food and your share of the household bills -from your DWP benefits
  • and possibly a contribution toward your care and support as decided by the Financial Assessments and Benefits team from Adult Services

Adult Services will pay the carer for:

  • your care and support either directly or you can pay through your self-directed support funding or individual budget.

For short stays and day care you will pay in exactly the same way as for other similar services provided by Adult Services.

shared lives user

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Find a scheme

  • Use this search to find out if there is a shared lives scheme in your area

Users' stories

These stories are about some of the people who have used the Shared Lives scheme