If YOU have questions about living with autism in Hampshire you can find support and information within these web pages. Autism is on a spectrum, including Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism. The characteristics of the condition vary from one person to another and affects how a person communicates with, and relates to, other people. Autism also affects how a person makes sense of the world around them.

Fifty per cent of people with autism also have a learning disability, this can make autism harder to recognise and therefore understand. The Hampshire Learning Disability Partnership Board (HLDPB) has information specifically for people with autism and a learning disability.

Those with Asperger syndrome and High Functioning Autism have fewer problems with speaking than others on the spectrum and are often of average or above average intelligence. However, they may still have complex support needs

To address the issues specific to autism in Hampshire, the Hampshire Autism Partnership Board (HAPB) which was set up in January 2010, has developed the Hampshire Autism Strategy for Adults 2012-2015 to improve services for people with autism. This is Part one of a whole life autism strategy in Hampshire; Part two, Hampshire Autism Strategy for Children is due to follow in 2013.

The HAPB links closely to the work being undertaken by the HLDPB.

place holder

More about autism
Learn about the areas of difficulty, which all people with autism share

e-learningIntroduction to Autism E-Learning
Learn and test your understanding of autism with this 20-30 minute quiz

strategy National Autism Strategy
Fulfilling and Rewarding Lives; the strategy for adults with Autism in England

winchester Hampshire's response
Read about the Hampshire Autism Strategy for Adults

links Useful links
Advice for adults with autism, parents and carers of children with autism and professionals



Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Useful links

Hantsweb pages

  • Autism cards
  • Autism - pages from HCC's Children's Services

Other websites

  • The Autism directory - offering information, support and signposting. Go online and register for mailings.