Employment support for people with disabilities

Employment and training for people with a disability

If you are looking for employment or wanting to change your job there is a range of support available to assist you.

Local Jobcentre

Jobcentre Plus have skilled advisers who can help you search for a job and make sure that you know which benefits you are entitled to. Talk to Disability Employment Advisers (DEAs) at your local Jobcentre Plus who can give help and advice regardless of your situation. They can help you find work or gain new skills even if you have been out of work for a long time, or if you have little or no work experience.

DEA’s are also able to provide details of grants for special equipment at work that makes it possible for you to do a particular job – for example, adapted computer equipment.

Access to Work Scheme

A government initiative providing you and your employer advice on specialist equipment/adaptations and assistance with the cost of these. For more information see the Access to work scheme web pages.

Employment support services for:

Employment rights

If you are disabled you share the same general employment rights as other workers, but there are also some special provisions under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).


Physical disability

  • Signposts is an Adult Services in-house supported employment service, to help people who have a physical disability, find employment


Sight loss

Dual sensory loss

  • Sense is a national organisation who offer employment support and advice to people with a dual sensory loss


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment