Living with disabilities and long term conditions


We would all like to be able to live as independently as possible. Sometimes, because of old age and/or disabilities, we may need information, support or specialist advice to do so.

These pages aim to provide you with information which might be able to help you, or the person you care for, to get more out of life.

Are you worried about being out on your own?

The Safer Places scheme - provides a safe place to go to where help can be summoned if you are feeling scared or upset while out on your own in the community. A phone call can be made to someone who you trust, who will either come and collect you or advise you you on what you need to

Countryside attractions

Countryside attractions- with details of guides that can support less mobile visitors.


Holidays -  specifically for disabled people including accessible hotels and B&B's which can accommodate people in wheelchairs and where there are helpers and nurses available. You can get information from specialist publications and organisations or you can talk to your local travel agent about your options. It’s also worthwhile contacting disability organisations to ask whether they run any adapted holiday accommodation.


Sport - includes local and national sports organisations clubs and groups that cater for people of all ages, with all kinds of disabilities)


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment