Living with disabilities and long term conditions

Interpreters for Deaf sign language users

Although Hampshire County Council does not provide interpreters, we will sign post you to BSL/English interpreters who can provide more information on their services.

British Sign Language/English Interpreting services

  • (Sonus) - provide communication support including qualified interpreters, communicators, notetakers (both electronic and manual) and lipspeakers
    Voice phone: 0845 688 2626
    Text phone: 0845 688 2628
    Mobile (inc.24 hour service): 07974 325563
    Fax: 0845 866 2627

  • TEAM Communications -
    Voice phone: 01256 467081
    Textphone: 01256 467087
    Fax: 01256 321452

Hospital and doctor interpreting service

If you have an appointment with your GP or hospital and you need a BSL interpreter please contact your GP/hospital to book a BSL interpreter. The GP/hospital are responsible for booking a BSL interpreter. Please give the GP notice to book a BSL interpreter. This is funded by the local Primary Care Trust. Don’t forget that it is your right to have a qualified interpreter for medical appointments.

Police Link Officers for Deaf People (PLOD)

Police Link Officers are available with sign language, lipspeaking and Deafblind manual skills to communicate with people, to give information and advice, and to provide a link to other police departments.

Hands signing

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Related websites

  • Signature promotes excellence in communication with deaf and deafblind people

  • ASLI - Association of sign language interpreters

  • NRCPD - National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People