Transition pathway to adulthood

Transition through education and schools

The school Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, in conjunction with the head teacher, organises statutory annual reviews for all those young people with statements of special educational need, at a time convenient for the young person and parent(s)/carer(s). Transition planning is incorporated in these reviews. Teaching and support staff are involved in transition planning. Transition planning must also take into account young people with complex needs who do not have SEN Statements.

Educational psychologists

Educational psychologists respond to requests for assistance in meeting the needs of young people with learning and emotional needs up to the age of 19.

The Learning and Skills Council (LSC)

The Learning and Skills Council is responsible for funding and planning post-16 education and training (except Higher Education).

For most young people with a disability, it is likely that a post-16 course of further education or a training opportunity will be available in the local community, either at a further education or sixth-form college, maintained school with a sixth form, a special school with post-16 provision or a Work Based Learning Provider.

For those very few young people whose education and/or training needs cannot be met locally there is a network of national independent specialist colleges. These can provide education and/or training courses, with residential provision.

Further information about funding from the LSC and the criteria for a placement at an independent college can be found in ‘Funding Guidance: Placement for Learners with Learning Difficulties and/or Disabilities at specialist colleges’ and is available on the Learning and Skills Council website