Going into and leaving hospital

How will my benefits be affected?

Your State Pension stays the same irrespective of how long you are in hospital but a prolonged stay may affect some benefits you are entitled to.

You should check whether any benefits you are claiming are affected whilst you are in hospital by contacting:

  • the Disability Benefits helpline - if you receive an Attendance Allowance and you are going to be in hospital for more than 4 weeks

  • the PIP helpline - if you receive the Personal Independence Allowance (PIP)

  • your local Council office - which deals with your claims for housing and council tax benefit. This is important as in most cases, your benefit entitlement will have to be reassessed to take account of your new circumstances

  • your local Jobcentre Plus - to find out if any other benefit you are claiming (e.g. Jobseekers allowance) is affected or if there are any benefits that you may now be entitled to

If you were not claiming benefits before you went into hospital, you may now be entitled to claim. It is important that everyone who is entitled to benefits or help receives all that they are entitled to.

Information about a range of other benefits:


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment