Financial help and advice

Personal budgets explained

The Council needs to approve the Support Plan you have made with your social worker, family or friends setting out how you want the money to be spent to meet your social care needs. We will then agree on the amount of money needed to meet your needs. This is called your Personal Budget.

Depending on your financial circumstances you may need to pay something towards your personal budget. This is called your chargeable Personal Budget (or cPB) and you will need a financial assessment to work out how much you and the Council will each pay.

Will I need to provide the money for my cPB?

You will need to provide all the money for your cPB if:
  • you have assessable capital or savings of £23,250 or more
  • you decide not to have a financial assessment

You will not provide any money for your cPB if:
  • your financial assessment says you cannot afford to do so
You may need to provide some money for your cPB if:
  • none of the above apply to you

You can still decide to provide all the money, or you can ask for a financial assessment to work out how much you and the Council will each pay.

If, as a result of your financial assessment, the Council will fund some of your services, you can choose to receive this money as a Direct Payment in order to arrange and pay for your services yourself. our social worker can explain more about this. If you prefer, you can ask your social worker to organise services for you using the money.

If you need to pay towards your cPB, we will ask you to pay the same amount each month. We would like you to do this through a monthly Direct Debit from your bank account.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Our services in sign language