Financial help and advice

Financial assessments

If you meet the Council’s eligibility criteria for social care you can have your services arranged by us and you will be given an agreed Personal Budget (this is the amount of money it will cost to meet your care needs).

You will also be advised that you may need to pay something towards the costs, you may be entitled to some services that are free of charge, so we work out how much of the budget you may need to pay towards – this is called your chargeable Personal Budget (or cPB).

You can chose either to pay the full amount of your cPB or ask for a financial assessment to work out whether the Council needs to pay some or all of it.

The amount that you pay is called your maximum weekly contribution. You will not be asked to pay more than this unless your financial circumstances change. If they do change you can ask for a reassessment, however we will contact you every year in April to check this.

The FAB (Financial Assessments and Benefits) team can provide information about welfare benefits and can help you to claim any benefits you maybe entitled to.

When will I have one?

The financial assessment is carried out after your eligible care needs have been assessed by your social worker. Your social worker will offer to arrange an appointment with FAB team.

A member of the FAB team can help you complete an assessment form and work out your maximum contribution. You will need to sign an assessment form unless someone else has a legal authority to manage your money.

If you receive welfare benefits, for example, you may have a Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) Appointee; or a Court Appointed Deputy or you may have appointed someone with power of attorney to look after your money. In such cases, this person can sign the financial assessment form and will be responsible for paying the money to us on your behalf.

You will need to provide a photocopy of the relevant documents during the FAB visit.

How does it work?

You do not need a financial assessment if:

  • you have assessable capital or savings of £23,250 or more. You will provide all the money for your cPB
  • you decide not to have a financial assessment. You will provide all the money for your cPB

If you decide to have a financial assessment we will work out how much you and the Council will put in to your cPB.

As everyone’s financial circumstances are different, we do ask quite a lot of questions, though not all of them may apply to you. The FAB officer will guide you through the assessment to help ensure you mention all the things we can take into account.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment