Financial help and advice

Assessment of your financial information for care at home services

Once you have been advised by the Council that you are eligible for social care at home services the amount of money it will cost to meet your needs is agreed, this is called your Personal Budget. You will also be told that you may need to pay something towards your care depending on your financial circumstances. The amount of money you may need to pay is called your your chargeable Personal Budget (or cPB)

You can chose either to pay the full amount of your cPB or ask for a financial assessment to work out whether the Council needs to pay some or all of it. The amount that you pay is called your maximum weekly contribution. You will not be asked to pay more than this unless your financial circumstances change.

We need to know about your savings/capital and the money you have coming in and going out to make sure you only pay what you can afford.

Your social worker will arrange an appointment with FAB (Financial Assessments and Benefits) team who will give you a summary of how your maximum weekly contribution is worked out, often during their visit. Your outgoings are deducted from your income to produce your net assessable income and you will not be asked to pay more than this, unless your financial circumstances change.

A visit from the FAB (Financial Assessments and Benefits) team

A member of the FAB team can help you complete the assessment form and work out your maximum contribution. You will need to sign the assessment form unless someone else has a legal authority to manage your money.

If you have Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) Appointee, a Court Appointed Deputy or you have appointed someone with power of attorney to look after your money, this person can sign the financial assessment form and will be responsible for paying the money to us on your behalf.

You will need to provide a photocopy of all relevant documents during the FAB visit.

The FAB team can also provide information about welfare benefits and can help you to claim any benefits you maybe entitled to that you do not claim at present.

You do not need a financial assessment if you have assessable capital or savings of £23,250 or more or you decide not to have a financial assessment. In both cases you will need to provide all the money for your cPB yourself.

Your savings

If you have less than £23,250 or when your savings fall below this amount, the financial assessment will look at both your savings and income.

Money and assets that you WOULD NOT need to use:

  • the value of the home you live in

  • savings below £14,250

  • income from employment

  • The Savings Credit part of your Pension Credit

  • age related payments, such as the Winter Fuel Allowance

  • income and savings of your husband, wife or registered civil partner or anyone else you live with.

Money and assets that you WOULD need to use:

  • savings between £14,250 and £23,250
    These are converted into your ‘tariff income’ - so for every £250 or part thereof, £1 a week is added to your income

  • the value of any property you own but are not living in

  • cash over £250

  • certain compensation payments

  • pensions eg pension credit, retirement, war, work/private pensions

  • annuities

  • charitable payments

  • Income Support above basic levels

  • Employment and Support Allowance

  • Incapacity Benefit

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Disability Living Allowance (Care)

  • Severe Disablement Allowance

  • joint money where
    you have a legal entitlement to your partner’s income
    welfare benefits for both are paid to one of you
    or you have a joint bank or building society account

You can ask the FAB team for a joint assessment. Although this is optional, it may benefit you as we will use whichever assessment results in a lower contribution by you.–

Your outgoings and expenses - money that you WOULD NOT need to use:

  • household expenses such as mortgage payments, rent or council tax

  • disability related expenses, including special equipment e.g. stair lifts, extra bedding, laundry,  incontinence pads

  • eligible personal care you already pay for

  • help with cleaning

  • help in the garden

  • transport costs (unless you receive the DLA mobility allowance)

  • special diet which is a medical requirement

  • community alarm, unless we have provided it as part of your services

  • general living expenses such as food and clothing. We must use standard allowances set by the Government which are based on Income Support or Pension Credit benefit levels


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment