Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Paying for residential and nursing care

In most circumstances people are expected to contribute towards the cost of their care but some help from Adult Services is free. Free services include information, advice and assessments of what help people and their carers need.

Paying for residential care

There is always a charge for residential care, and the rules Adult Services use to decide how much you will contribute to the cost of your care are set down by government.

Nearly everyone has to pay a contribution towards the cost of living in a care home, and the amount they pay depends on their financial circumstances.

The cost of residential care depends on the type and level of care that someone needs, the facilities offered in the home, as well as the specification of a particular bedroom.

Capital thresholds from April 2015 are detailed below:

  • Upper capital threshold: £23,250
  • Lower capital threshold: £14,250

More information is contained in the publication Paying for Care in a Care Home  Download Adobe Reader to view this PDF 13MB


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment