Financial help and advice

Advice for self funders of care

Self funders is the phrase used for people who pay for their own social care support because they are not eligible for financial help from their local authority.

You will be responsible for paying for your own care if:

  • for residential care - you have measurable assets and income (including your property) greater than £23,250 and are looking to go into residential care unless your care is temporary or a close relative still lives with you

  • for care at home - you are looking for care at home support and you have measurable assets or income (excluding the value of property you live in) greater than £23,250

If you are responsible for paying the full cost of your care, we strongly recommend that you seek specialist advice and explore all the care funding options available to you before entering into any arrangements.

Explore the options

To explore the options and discuss which one is best for your individual circumstances, speak to an independent financial adviser, preferably one with the specialist CF8 qualification on advising on the funding of long-term care. They will be able to explain all the costs and risks involved, and should be able to help with other things, like arranging your Will, or setting up a Power of Attorney.

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA), a not-for-profit consumer organisation regarded as the 'benchmark' for advice can provide a list of specialist care-fee adviser in your area. Search their website or telephone 0845 303 2909

The Money Advice website also has information on self-funding your long-term care options.

Please note that if the value of the measurable capital / savings you own falls below £23,250 you should contact Hampshire County Council to see what support can be offered.