Financial help and advice

Local Welfare Assistance

Local Welfare Assistance (LWA) is the provision of better information, advice and support for individuals and families struggling to cope with current economic and social challenges and for those who are facing genuine short term crises.

The LWA should also enable individuals and families to plan for a future without crisis or reduce the likelihood of this as far as possible.

LWA is being delivered through building on the knowledge and experience of services already provided to residents. Through this approach the limited funding available is being used to, enable and strengthen the network of existing community, voluntary and charitable organisations to provide help to people experiencing periods of short term crisis.

I need financial advice or debt advice

General advice


  • Entitled to - calculate your benefits and what you might be entitled to

  • Turn 2 Us - information about benefits and grants

Debt advice

Energy issues - gas & electicity

Financial advice


I need advice on housing or homelessness problems



You don't have to be living on the street to be homeless. You may be legally classed as homeless if you are sleeping on a friend's sofa, staying in a hostel, suffering from overcrowding, or other bad conditions.


I need practical support

Fire and emergency support

Besides offering immediate safe shelter, along with clothing, food and shower facilities, the Red Cross also helps with practical necessities such as securing temporary accommodation and contacting insurance companies.

Affordable furniture

Hampshire Furniture Reuse network logo

Hampshire County Council is working with local furniture reuse providers to help individuals and families who are struggling to cope and facing times of crisis to be able to access affordable, and sometimes free, furniture, white goods and electrical items. The scheme is called the Hampshire Furniture Reuse Network (HFRN)

Charity shops

Emergency Food

Food banks operate across Hampshire and each have a referral process in order to access their services. Please visit their websites for further information.


I'm struggling to cope and need to talk to someone

Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance and Advice can take the time to work with you to help with any problems you may be experiencing or any concerns you may have.

You can contact Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance and Advice

  • Tel: 0300 330 1150

Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance and Advice will:

  • help to support you to get to the bottom of your problem
  • develop a plan of action to overcome your problem where necessary
  • refer or signpost you to a named expert to deal with your situation or concerns
  • enable you to identify help, nationally, county wide or locally through research and investigation tailored to your needs
  • act as an advocate on your behalf with other agencies

Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance and Advice will not:

  • make decisions about whether or not you require goods or services
  • be able to give you cash, goods or services
  • be able to guarantee that support is available for your specific situation but will do their best to see your particular crisis is resolved or assessed wherever possible

Become part of the support network

Hampshire's approach to delivering LWA builds upon the principles of personalisation - providing support that gives residents information, advice and practical solutions to maintain control, dignity and independence over their lives. It is envisaged that this approach will increase the resilience and capacity of local communities to respond to the evidenced needs of the people living and working within them.

Hampshire County Council is already working with a network of local organisations, groups and services that support vulnerable individuals and families at times of real and genuine crisis. This partnership approach increases the likelihood that limited funding is effectively used to support those most in need.

If you are an organisation wishing to become part of the network initially contact who will email you the Memorandum of Understanding to complete and return

If you are an individual requiring support then please contact Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance and Advice: 0300 330 1150