Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Arranging your care

You should always ensure that you have a written agreement with the home about the terms of the care you are receiving.

Help in making decisions

If you have a disability or illness that makes it difficult to make decisions about about your own health, care needs, finances and other aspects of everyday life then the Mental Capacity Act is designed to help you.

Information on how the act supports you to make decisions (sometimes or all of the time), or helps you  to plan ahead in case you become incapable of making decisions in the future can be found on the Mental Health decision making and the law page

The contract terms

If you are paying privately for care

Make sure that you are given a contract or a residents agreement signed by your or your representative and by the home owner or manager, or his or her representative.

The contract should confirm exactly
  • what you will be paying each week
  • what that charge covers
  • any extra charges
  • how and when the price you pay will be reviewed.

If you are getting help towards the cost of care from Adult Services

Your care manager will automatically set up a contract on your behalf with the home you move into which will give details of the amount that the Adult Services department will contribute to the fees.

You will be notified separately about your assessed client contribution which you will have to pay towards this fee.


Other terms on the contract

The contract also covers other terms such as
  • an agreed notice period on both sides
  • what happens when a resident has to go into hospital.

When care is arranged by the Adult Services department the terms in the Adult Services department contract take precedence.


arranging care

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment