Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Advice for carers, families and friends

Many people arrange their own care but often it is a member of the family or a friend who asks the questions and becomes closely involved in helping someone move into residential care.

Making the right decision

You may be trying to make arrangements from a distance, or you may be living with the person who needs residential care and it may be difficult for you to come to the decision that residential care is what your relative or friend needs. If you want to talk things through, you can ask the Adult Services department for an assessment of what care is needed, as there might be a more suitable alternative.

General advice

There are  support groups and telephone helplines that can give you information and advice.

Relative & Residents Association

The Relative & Residents Association can give you information and advice and may be able to put you in touch with local groups whose members will have gone through the experience of helping someone move into residential care.

  • Relative & Residents Association
    Tel:020 7359 8136


Local Carers Centre

  • Andover: Tel 01264 835246
  • Basingstoke: Tel 01256 353290
  • Eastleigh: Tel 023 8090 2404
  • Fareham & Gosport: Tel 023 9250 1592
  • Havant & Petersfield: Tel: 023 9259 5455
  • Meon Valley:Tel: 01489 895444
  • New Forest: Tel: 023 8028 6342
  • Romsey:Tel 01794 519495
  • Winchester: 01962 842034

Local helplines

  • Princess Royal Trust for Carers
    Tel: 01962 842034
  • Carers Together
    Tel: 01794 519495
  • Carers Active Listening Line(CALL)
    Tel: 08000 3 23456

National helplines

Carers UK
Tel: 020 7378 4999
Carers line
Tel: 0808 808 7777 NHS Carers Direct
Tel:0808 802 0202

Continuing to care

Financial implications
  • it is important to recognise that residential care can often last a long time so you need to consider the implications of any move including its financial consequences at the beginning so as to try to avoid a move at a later date
  • Adult Services can help some people with the cost of care home fees although this is dependent on an assessment of their needs and financial circumstances
  • families and friends are ‘not liable in law' for the care fees but they can choose to make a contribution to the cost of care. They should be aware that it may become a long term commitment and that top ups may be necessary.
Providing support
  • your relative or friend should get an annual review of the care they need, so ask to be present at discussions
  • join the Relatives & Residents association group at the home
  • if you want to do an activity with your fried or relative talk to the home about how best you can do this
  • keep an eye on the inspection reports
  • ask when the inspectors are making their next visit so that you can meet them and talk to them.

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment