Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Contacting the care home

When you have found a care home that you think might be right for you, you should contact them and ask them to send you a copy of their brochure. You should also ask to speak to the manager of the home and check

  • they offer the kind of care you want
  • they are registered to provide the type of care you need
  • what their charges are and what they cover
  • they have the kind of room you are looking for
  • whether they have a vacancy
  • whether they are happy to arrange a trial period

Make arrangements to visit the home as this will give you a chance to meet the staff and residents and talk to them about the home. It is essential that you are happy in the home you choose to live in.

If you are not physically well enough to visit the home you should ask someone who knows what you want to visit on your behalf.

Questions to ask

Questions to ask when visiting a care home

You will have a lot to think about on your first visit - your first impressions of staff and residents, physical features of the building, details of the rooms, arrangements about personal possessions and day-to-day life as well as financial matters.

When you have found what you think is the right home there are several things that you may need to consider before making a final decision which may include

  • agree with the home the care you are buying
  • consider whether you want someone to act on your behalf

You should always ask to see a copy of the home's standard contract /agreement when you visit, and discuss how and when the price you pay will be reviewed.

You can also read the independent inspection reports for each home published by the Care Quality Commission.


Arranging a trial period

If you are planning to give up your home and move into a care home don't make a hasty decision. When you have found what you think is the right home for you, arrange to spend a trial period there for a few weeks before you make your final decision.

Even if you go into a home in an emergency you should still think about your first four weeks as a trail period.



Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment