Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Living in a care home

Once you have moved into a care home, it can take a while to settle in as this will have been a major change in your life.

You will usually be met by the manager or a senior member of staff and be given a guided tour of the home. This is when staff will try to get to know more about you and may tell you about about meal times and activities. You may also be introduced to some of the other residents and other members of staff at this time.

There will be time to unpack, with the help of your family or friends or if you prefer a member of staff and time to adjust to your new surroundings.

You will need to know what you should be able to expect from the care home and what to do if you are worried about you or someone else's safety.

Registration of the home

All health and social care providers are required by law to register with the Care Quality Commission.

The Commission aim to make sure better care is provided for everyone - in hospitals, care homes and people's own homes.


Dealing with problems

If you are unsure or worried about anything try to talk to a member of staff about your concerns.

If you are relative of friend of someone living in a care home and have concerns about the care they are receiving, try talking to the manager or whoever is in charge.

All care providers must have procedures for handling complaints. If the council pays for your care you can also complain to your Adult Services department.


Concerns about safety

If you think that someone is being abused make your concerns known to a person in authority that you feel comfortable talking to.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment