More information on Extra Care Housing
Growing older can mean making difficult decisions about who looks after you and how to stay independent. Extra Care housing is the latest development in care for older people, offering a secure place to live but with care and support on hand.
Hampshire County Council is planning to invest £45 million over the next few years to stimulate the development of Extra Care housing across the county.
Extra Care housing offers individual one or two bedroom flats within a larger development. and care and support services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Extra Care also has the benefit of allowing couples, who may have very different care needs, to stay together.
Schemes operating in Hampshire
- Fleet: Campbell Place (74 units for rent)
- Basingstoke: Newman Court (64 units split 34 for rent and 30 for shared ownership)
- Gosport: Juniper Court (50 units for rent)
- Andover: Lion Oak Court (52 units for rent
The enhanced services will also operate in Aldershot, Andover, Basingstoke, Eastleigh, Farnborough, Lymington, New Milton and Totton. In these areas, the care and support service in existing sheltered housing is being upgraded and improved to meet Extra Care standards.
What does Extra Care offer?
The schemes offer:
- modern, high quality and attractive buildings close to local facilities
- a choice of one or two bedroom apartments, with your own front door
- qualified staff onsite to respond quickly to a variety of care needs
- shared facilities such as a laundry, restaurant, hairdressing, lounges and gardens
- social activities such as choral groups, healthy walking, photography and film clubs
- the opportunity to meet new friends and become part of a vibrant community.
What other benefits are there?
Other benefits include:
- preventative and well-being services to increase independence and reduce the need for hospital admissions or residential care
- opportunities for life-long learning through continuing adult education classes
- clinics with visiting health professionals
- sport and leisure activities
Research published in September 2011 showed that people living in Extra Care housing enjoyed better health, had fewer hospital stays and a lower number of falls. They were also less likely to move into residential care.
Who is Extra Care for?
The schemes are for older people, usually in their 70s and 80s. However, all schemes are different and some cater for a wider age range.
For many people, Extra Care is the ideal solution as they can have their own home, but with the added reassurance that help is at hand. Extra Care also allows people to move out of houses, where they are finding it difficult to cope, into a home where they can be secure and live independently.
Can I buy my own flat?
Apartments in Extra Care schemes are mostly for rent and aimed at people with an assessed need for care as well as housing. However, in the Basingstoke scheme a number of apartments are for sale – and this may become an additional feature in new developments.
Is Extra Care the right choice for you?
Contact the Adult Services Department on 0845 603 5630 or speak to your care manager. Alternatively, contact the housing departments in the following boroughs:
- Andover - Test Valley Borough Council 01264 368000
- Basingstoke - Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council 01256 844844
- Fleet - Hart District Council 01252 774420
- Gosport - Gosport Borough Council 02392 584242
What am I entitled to?
The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.
For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.
Try our online self assessment