Your wellbeing and health

Mental health and recovery


Mental health covers a wide range of disorders; from worries and grief that we all experience as part of everyday life to the more serious such as dementia or bi-polar disorder. Mental health problems can affect anyone, of any background, at any time of their life and may also have an impact on the people around them, like family and friends.

Nearly nine out of ten people who experience mental health problems say they face stigma and discrimination as a result. Often this can be worse than the symptoms themselves.

The Time to Change programme challenges this stigma and discrimination and attempts to change peoples attitude towards mental health.

How can I get help?

The first thing you should do is contact your own GP who may refer you for further help. This could either be to a local Wellbeing Centre a specialist local Mental Health team who will arrange any help or care that you might need.

Adult Services in Hampshire provides a range of services for adults experiencing severe mental health problems, usually through a joint service with health and the voluntary sector.

If you care for someone with a mental health problem we commission a range of services from The Princess Royal Trust for Carers that could support you

If you are a member of a Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Community your local Inclusion and Engagement Officer can help you to understand what to expect when visiting the doctor or mental health specialist. Sometimes having someone to talk to or accessing a community group is helpful.

There are a lot of older people with mental health problems, such as dementia and depression, who need services and support. Over the next few years this number is expected to rise as the number of older people living in Hampshire grows. Health and social care services are therefore working together to support people in the best way possible.


Helping yourself

There are things that you can do yourself, such as taking exercise, developing and sustaining friendships, asking for help if you feel distressed or upset and cutting down on coffee, tea, alcohol, nicotine and other addictive substances. You could:

  • find a local Wellbeing Centre - offering information and advice to help you overcome your problems

  • the The Princess Royal Trust for Carers website has information and advice to support you carers

  • follow the 5 ways to wellbeing - simple things you can do in your everyday lives to improve your mental wellbeing from Mind's website

  • read 10 top ways to look after your mental health from the Mental Health Foundation

  • borrow books on the prescription scheme - self help guides selected by experienced mental health practitioners to help people with common mental health problems


Strategies, plans, decision making and the law

Hampshire County Council Adult Services and NHS Hampshire launched the Joint Adult Mental Health Commissioning Strategy which supports good mental health and wellbeing by commissioning services that meet the needs of all our communities.

Read about mental health strategies, plans, decision making and the law including the Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) service, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DOLS) and related Acts of Parliament.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Related links