Professionals and Practitioners

Occupational Therapy

Occupational Therapists (OTs) work with a range of people including those who have physical, mental and/ or social problems, either as a result of accident, illness or ageing. They are aware of the impact that changes in circumstances can have on individual’s independence and confidence.

OTs are responsible for carrying out assessments and providing services that help people remain as independent as possible in their own homes.


Please contact Adult Services if you, or the person you are caring for:
  • find coping with daily activities difficult
  • need equipment or adaptations for the home
  • have difficulty hearing and/or seeing

OT referrals

If you, or a person you care for, find doing day to day things difficult, the Occupational Therapy service is here to help you become as independent and safe as possible in your daily activities.

You will be able to speak with someone trained to give you specialist advice about the difficulties you are having. If there is a simple piece of equipment that could help you, they will give you details. There are some pieces of equipment that they may be able to supply for you or your family to fit yourselves. However, if the help you need is more complex and you meet our eligibility criteria, they will arrange for a referral to be sent to your local Occupational Therapy team.

For Hampshire:

Other sources of help


See also

  • The College of Occupational Therapists have a directory of private OTs. For more information contact:
    Tel: 020 7357 6480
  • The Disabled Living Foundation has introduced an online self assessment tool, SARA, which establishes what equipment might help you. Visit to complete an assessment.