Money and welfare

Advice and support for individuals and families and those who are struggling to cope or facing short term crises

Emergency food

If you can't afford to buy enough food, you may be able to get some short term help from your local food bank.

You will need a voucher to use a food bank. To find out where you can get a voucher, contact your local food bank or phone Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance on 0300 330 1150.

Local food banks:

The Smart Living website has tips and ideas for making the most of the food you have and avoiding waste.

Get Help with tax from GOV.UKTax Help for Older People is a service from the charity Tax Volunteers providing free, independent and expert help and advice for older people on lower incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional tax advice.
Debt and money

The organisations below offer free, impartial advice on debt and budgeting:

Short term grants and advances

The Department for Work and Pensions provides grants and short term advances for people who already claim benefits, such as

You can check you are receiving the right benefits:

Free school meals and school uniform grants

All children in Key Stage 1 are entitled to Universal Free School Meals.

If you are in receipt of certain benefits and have children who attend school, they may be eligible for free school meals from Key Stage 2 onwards and/or help with uniform costs.

Housing advice

Your local authority will be able to give you general advice about housing, housing benefits and homelessness.

If you are having problems paying your rent, talk to your landlord as soon as possible.

Citizens Advice guidance on housing

Housing advice from Shelter

Keeping your home warm

If you claim benefits, you may be able to claim discounts or grants to help heat your home.

More about keeping warm in winter.


There are a number of services which provide affordable, good quality second hand furniture for members of the public. If you are in receipt of certain benefits you may qualify for a discount. To see what is available in your area visit one of the services below:


Twice as Nice
Phone 01264 369615


Community Furniture Project
Phone 01256 320700


The Furniture Helpline
Phone 01420 489000

Havant and Gosport

Jacobs Well Care Centre
Phone 02392 583050


Southampton City and Region Action To Combat Hardship (SCRATCH)
Phone 02380 773132

For furniture only, not white goods.

Winchester and Eastleigh

Emmaus Hampshire
Phone 01962 868300

Financial help from charities

Some charities provide financial help such as subsidised care in a care home, or help with care fees. Often these charities are concerned with particular groups such as nurses or ex-service people.

Further information:

Further help

If you still have questions, phone Hampshire Local Welfare Assistance and Advice on 0300 330 1150.