Badajos Barracks (West Infantry Barracks)
Date of construction 1856-9
Date of demolition 1961
Originally known as the West Infantry Barracks, they were renamed 'Badajos' in the late 1880s after Wellington's victory during the Peninsular War in 1812.
Badajos Barracks were part of the original scheme for 'permanent barracks' and were designed to accommodate a battalion of infantry. The barracks were comprised of two structures facing each other 40-50 feet apart, connected by a roof of glass and strengthened by iron.
Guardroom, officers mess and married quarters. For other ranks there were two large blocks, each comprising three floors with ten rooms. Every room held twenty-five men.
The site is now occupied by Salamanca Park Married Quarters.
Photo Northumberland Fusiliers outside Badajos Barracks c1905