Date of construction 1890-5
Date of demolition 1965
These barracks commemorate Marlborough's victory at the Battle of Malplaquet, 11 September 1709.
These brick barracks were designed to replace the old wooden hutted encampment of the 1850s, following the Barracks Act of 1890. Malplaquet Barracks housed a battalion of infantry. Officer's mess, sergeant's mess, regimental institute and 20 single storey barracks bungalows. Normal occupancy was 25 officers and 668 men.
Demolished in 1965.
Photo: 2nd Batallion, the East Yorkshire Regiment changing guard at Malplaquet Barracks, August 1927.