Pinehurst Barracks (Elles Barracks from 1934)
Date of construction 1921 (rebuilt 1929-34)
It was re-named Elles Barracks after General Sir Hugh Elles, Comander of the Royal Tank Corps during the First World War.
Originally a hutted camp situated next to the Royal Aircraft Establishment. Occupied by the 2nd Bn Royal Tanks Corps from 1921-1939.
The camp also housed the Mechanical Warfare Experimental Establishment (MWEE), as well as the 4th Bn Royal Tanks Corps from 1937-1939. The Royal Army Service Corps occupied the barracks following the Second World War.
The camp was demolished in the 1970s. Meudon Avenue now runs through the site whilst Rushmoor Borough Council offices occupy the site of the Officers Mess. The Sergeants Mess is used as the Farnborough Community Centre; some of the married quarters also survive.
Photo: Hut 36 Pinehurst Barracks 1918.