Salamanca Barracks (Central Infantry Barracks)
Date of construction 1856-9
Date of demolition 1961
These barracks were named after the Battle of Salamanca, which took place on 22 July 1812 during the Napoleonic Wars.
The buildings were part of the original scheme for 'permanent barracks' and were designed to accommodate a battalion of infantry. The main elements of the barracks comprised of two structures facing each other 40-50 feet apart, connected by a roof of glass and strengthened by iron.
Guardroom, officers mess and married quarters. For other ranks there were two large blocks, each comprising three floors with ten rooms. Every room held twenty-five men.
The site is now occupied by Salamanca Park Married Quarters.
Photo Salamaca Barracks c1905