Talavera Barracks (East Infantry Barracks)
Date of construction 1856-9
Date of demolition 1959
Originally known as the East Infantry Barracks they were renamed 'Talavera' in the late 1880s after Wellington's victory during the Peninsular War on the 27-28 July 1809.
As part of the original scheme for 'permanent barracks', Talavera was designed to accommodate a battalion of infantry. The barracks consisted of two structures facing each other 40-50 feet apart, connected by a roof of glass and strengthened by iron. The building was 3-storeys high.
Guardroom, officers mess and married quarters For other men there were two large block, each comprising three floors with ten rooms on each floor. Each room held 25 men.
The site is now occupied by Talavera Park Married Quarters.
Photo: Talevera Barracks