Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Hammersley
In 1860 Major Hammersley of the 14th Regiment of Foot and twelve Non Commissioned Officers were selected to attend a six month course of Physical Training at Oxford University. The War Office had decided that the soldier’s physical education and training should be extended beyond drill and arms training.
In 1861 the Army’s first gymnasium was built in South Camp and Hammersley was subsequently appointed as Inspector of Gymnasia and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Hammersley held the post of Inspector of Gymnasia until 1876.