Visiting Hampshire Archives and Local Studies
Any closures affecting our usual opening times, and changes to service, are advertised on our homepage.
Please note that Saturdays are managed with a small number of staff and visitors should take particular note that our document retrieval service is more limited than on weekdays. While documents may be retrieved at any time of the day up to 3.30pm, retrieval times will vary according to both staff availability and how much help and advice we need to provide to all our visitors in the searchroom.
To avoid disappointment on the day, visitors who wish to view and/or photograph documents are strongly advised to contact us at least 24 hours in advance to order some or all the items they require.
Visitors need a reader's ticket. These are free. Please bring along proof of your name, address and signature or pick up a temporary one-day ticket. Keep your ticket to show each time you enter and exit the search room.
The search room is a quiet study area but a livelier learning environment is encouraged on Thursday evenings - an ideal time for groups to visit.
Visitors need to sign in to agree to search room guidelines
- to maintain the search room as a quiet study area, eg. phones off
- to handle items with care and use pencils only
- not to drink or eat, including sweets and gum
- to leave bags, including. laptop bags, and outdoor items in lockers
- observe all legal requirements, eg. copyright, data protection
We aim to retrieve up to 6 documents per order throughout the day. However, during busy periods we may need to limit or close this service and also sometimes close for an hour over the lunch period. Retrievals cease at least 30 mins before closing time - see under Last documents. Documents required for use on a Thursday evening should be ordered by 4.45pm.
When your documents are ready for collection, your name will appear on our plasma screen. You will need to surrender your CARN ticket when you collect them from the Help Desk; this will be given back when the documents are returned. One-day temporary ticket holders may also see documents; please ask staff for advice.
Our documents are unique, so please handle all documents with care and touch them as little as possible. Ensure you have clean hands and write notes using pencils only. Use book rests and cushions to support volumes. Staff will be happy to advise you on all aspects of document handling.
Most documents can be copied, although some copying restrictions apply.
- Use self-service machines for printing from microform
- Use your own hand-held camera. Session/day fee applies.
- Use our photocopy or digital photography services. See Getting copies
Where documents can be photocopied, we aim to make copies on demand. However, during busy periods we may need to limit this service.
Fees and charges 15 kB
- Power points for laptops on all tables
- Access to internet and Ancestry
- Magnifying aids
- Self-service printing from microform
- Ultraviolet lamp for reading faded ink
- Light box for viewing slides and negatives
- A refreshment room with a hot drinks machine and chilled water.
- A cloakroom area with lockers, lockable coat hangers and toilets
- Garden and terraces
- Baby changing facilities
How we can help
We welcome disabled people and our staff will do all they can to ensure that you enjoy your visit. If you need extra assistance staff are happy to help. You are welcome to bring along a friend or helper with you.
- Two designated accessible parking spaces are located off Station Hill. From there access to the main entrance is approximately 100m, or disabled visitors can use an alternative closer (staff) entrance at the rear of the building using the intercom. Please contact us in advance, tel 01962 846154 to reserve a space
- Public car parks 100 metres
- At the main entrance one of the external doors is push-button operated
- Automatic doors to the searchroom
- Ramps and lifts
- There are accessible toilets on the ground floor and one unisex accessible toilet on the top floor
- No automatic doors to cinema and education workroom.
- Ramp available to get out onto level 4 balcony
- Carrydown evacuation chair available
- Guide dogs and assistance dogs welcome
We have many facilities to aid access.
- Accessible toilet
- Hearing induction loops in reception, search room and cinema
- A portable hearing loop is also available
- CCTV magnifying machine in the searchroom
- Magnifying glasses in the searchroom
- Automatic microfilm viewer available
- Automatic rise and fall table
Please telephone 01962 846154 if you have any queries.
Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
Thursday evening, 5pm - 7pm
1st & 3rd Saturday per month, 9am - 4pm
Admission free, no appointment needed
Closed on Public Holidays and Christmas Eve.
Open 9am-5pm on
21-23 December and 29-31 December
and 9am-4pm on 2 January
- 4.20pm Monday - Wednesday & Friday
- 4.45pm Thursday
- 3.30pm Saturday