Professionals and Practitioners

Customer care and complaints

Hampshire County Council is committed to providing the best possible services for people living in Hampshire. By telling us what you think about our services, you can help us to continue to improve and make sure we make any changes as quickly as possible. You will not be putting your rights to services at risk, so don’t be afraid to tell us what you think or what has gone wrong.

A complaint can be defined as: “An expression of dissatisfaction, however made, about the standard of service, actions or lack of action by the organisation or its staff, affecting an individual customer or group of customers.”

Although it may not always be possible to provide everything you want, by knowing about your complaints we can work together to try and put things right.

It is important that you let us know of your complaint as soon as it arises so it can be dealt with promptly. We are unlikely to investigate complaints made later than one year after the event that gives reason for the complaint.

For complaints about Adult Services including

Contact us by

  • Physical and learning disabilities
  • Older people
  • Residential and nursing care
  • Sensory issues - hearing loss and sight loss

If your complaint is about:

  • a registered care home
  • an independent provider of care or
  • something else that is not listed above
please make sure you are in the right


  • Completing the on-line form
  • Sending an email - title your email 'Complaints/concerns, comments or compliments.'
  • Sending a letter
    Information and Complaints team
    Adults' Health and Care
    The Castle, Winchester, SO23 8UQ
  • Contacting Adult Services

Compliments, comments and concerns

If you are happy with any part of the service you receive, then please tell us. Our staff can’t accept gifts, but if you want to recognise their work or to say thank you, then you can contact us as above, and we will record your views, and pass them on to the people involved.

If you have any concerns over any aspect of our services, or you wish to make any comments or suggestions on how we can improve, then please use the online form above.

What you can expect from Adults' Health and Care

Our approach is about listening, responding and improving. By listening to your experiences, we can resolve concerns faster, learn new ways to improve, and hopefully prevent the same problems from happening in the future.
  • We will treat you with respect and dignity*

  • We will always try to sort out your concerns as quickly as possible

  • We will make sure that you have adequate support

  • Anyone wishing to make a complaint can do so freely in an easy and simple way, using a range of different methods (i.e. letter, online, email, telephone)

  • We adopt the principle that all expressions of dissatisfaction should be taken seriously and acted upon appropriately

  • We are committed to dealing with complaints in a fair, impartial and timely manner

  • All our staff will take ownership of a complaint and either seek to resolve it or pass it on to a relevant person (within our statutory timescales)

  • Complainants receive an outcome that is objective and evidence-based and which addresses all the issues that have been raised

  • Complainants are informed of how they might escalate their complaint once our internal procedure is exhausted, if the problem is still not resolved

  • We are committed to using complaints to review and improve the services we provide.

* We expect the same levels of respect and dignity to be shown towards our staff.  The Council will not tolerate abusive or threatening behaviour against any member of our staff and should this be encountered, serious consideration will be given to limiting the contact received form that person(s).  If telephone calls contain any abusive or, threatening behaviour our staff are expected to terminate them after advising you of this fact.     

What is our complaints process?

Stage 1 – Usually dealt with by the appropriate Team Manager.  Your complaint will be acknowledged within 5 working days of it being received and we will aim to respond to the complaint in full within 20 working days.   A response is usually completed in writing or by email but can be done via telephone or at a meeting if preferred or if its deemed most appropriate.

Stage 2 – If you are unhappy with the Stage 1 response, the complaint can be escalated to Stage 2.  This stage would normally be allocated to a Service Manager (SM) (or Head of Service if SM has been involved in Stage 1). Sometimes a manager from another area will be requested to undertake an investigation and response to provide an element of impartiality.  On very rare occasions the Complaints Team will commission somebody completely independent from the County Council. The aim, is again, to resolve the complaint within a 20 working day deadline for responses, but especially if its being independently investigated, as the issues are generally more complex than at Stage 1, a longer timeframe, to a maximum of 40 working days is permitted.

Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) – You have the right at any time to approach the LGO but normally the LGO will only intervene when our complaints procedure has been exhausted.  If you are in any doubt as to whether this is the case, please ask your complaints co-ordinator. Once the LGO have finished their investigation the complaints process is ended

Are you sure you are in the right place?

Complaints about a Registered Care Home or an Independent Provider of Care


  • Ask the provider of the service for a copy of their own complaints procedure and use this
  • If you have tried or do not want to approach the independent provider directly, please contact Adult Services and we will see if we can help.
  • If you are paying for your own care, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman. The Care Quality Commission regulates and inspects these services but rarely investigate individual complaints.

Complaints about Health issues including


  • Community Health Services
  • Dentists
  • GP practices
  • Pharmacies etc
  • Inpatient Psychiatric Services
  • Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
    Tel: 02380 874065

Complaints about Community Hospitals


  • Community Hospitals

Neighbouring authorities


  • Portsmouth
  • Southampton

Children and families issues including


  • Your child’s education
  • Children’s welfare or safety
  • The services supplied by the Children’s Services

Complaints about a Registered Care Home or an Independent Provider of Care