Yateley Country Park

Ask a Ranger

Do you have a question about Yateley Common Country Park? Seen a plant or animal you can't identify?

Ask a ranger and we will try to help! We will aim to get back to you with an answer within 3 working days.

Please leave your name and email address. Your email will not be published.
We may contact you prior to publication, so please use a genuine email or your question may not be published.


112 questions so far


30/08/2016 08:54am

hanneke legerstee

Dear Sir/Madam

I run Rambles and Brambles, an outdoor craft and activity group for kids ranging from 2-8 years old (with parents present). We do crafts with natural materials (leafs, stones etc) and forest school like activities like den building and whittling.

I would love to introduce the group to fire making skills but I do not have the availability of a site to make a fire at.

I was wondering if Yateley common could be used for this purpose? I have heard from various people there is a firepit present? I would be happy to pay a donation towards the use of the land. My group is covered under insurance and I have had training in how to make a responsible fire. We maintain a 'leave no trail' policy and are respectful of nature and our environment.

Thank you very much for considering my request.

Kind regards,
Hanneke Legerstee

Rambles and Brambles

The Ranger Replies

Thank you for your enquiry. The group and activities sound lovely, it's good to hear the children are getting to explore the great outdoors and learn a variety of skills.

We do not currently accept external groups using the common in this way. A license process is being looked in to for groups such as this which would include a charge, but we are not currently in the position to have this in place. As an additional bit of information we do not allow fires anywhere on the common due to the health and safety risks of this on a Heathland site and it's against the byelaws.

If you would like any other information please contact us at northern.sites@hants.gov.uk.



23/08/2016 10:41am


Hi, my dog went in to the larger pond at wyndhams today, is there blue green algae present?

The Ranger Replies

From seeing the pond Wendesday afternoon there were no signs of it. If you are concerned I would recommend contacting your vet for advice.



13/07/2016 11:35am

Peter Shaw

Whilst at Yately Common today popped my head into the disused electrical sub station roughly 0.25 miles East of Ely Pub, 10m north of the A30 road, opposite the layby. (Hope you know what I mean). Looks like someone has illegal fly tipped Asbesto roofing material and left it in the brick hut.

The ranger replies

Thank you for reporting this to us, we will investigate it. In the future to report this sort of incident please email northern.sites@hants.gov.uk as we may be able to pick it up quicker.



13/06/2016 02:27pm


Hi earlier on today whilst walking my dog. We came across a carcass of a young dear on the path running parallel to Fernhill road in Hawley Woods.

Looked and smelt about 5days old, Just thought you needed to know!

The Ranger replies

Thanks for your report of the dead deer. Unfortunately, this area of land (Hawley Common) is not part of HCC owned Yateley Common and as such we do not have management of the land. This area is owned and managed by the MoD, so they would be responsible for the removal of any carcasses.



15/04/2016 02:56pm

joanne nye

do you need a riding permit to horse ride in either hawley or minely woods?

are you permitted to unload a horse in the parking down by hawley lake sailing club?

The Ranger Replies

Thank you for your question. Hampshire County Council's Countryside Service is not responsible for either Hawley wood or Minley Wood.  These areas are both part of the Military of Defence Land.

Many Thanks



07/03/2016 08:14am

Janet Clarke

Please could you let me know when you are going to stop the bonfires as my car is covered in white debris.This is the second time I have paid to have it cleaned and you have a bonfire!

My washing on a good day I like to put outside. It comes in at the moment smelling of bonfire. So have to use the tumble dryer.

The Ranger replies

I am sorry that you have been inconvenienced with the works taking place on the common. All the felling works have now ceased and the clear up is nearly complete. I am not exactly sure where you live, but the clear up at Vigo Lane is all but complete and the clear up at The Flats is due to be completed over the next week. I hope you agree that the work has been worthwhile and contributes to recreating the open landscape of the common helping to protect it's conservation status into the future.



02/03/2016 10:37am


hi there i hope you can help while walking my dogs in hawley park this morning i stepped on a piece of slate on the ground which broke under my weight which revealed to my horror an animal trap! i noted another piece of slate a little bit away and checked that to find another trap!

i have reported this to the police and i did remove the two traps. Can you help with this issue? I am very worried about this as someone is out to cause harm.

The Ranger replies

Thank you for your enquiry. Having spoken to you directly via email I can now confirmthat these traps were not on land known as Yateley Common, but Hawley Green at the crossroads in Hawley. As I understand it, the Police have been informed and the traps have been removed.

Thank you for getting in touch.



02/03/2016 10:35am

Gordon Gecko

Is the Smooth Snake found at Yateley Common a non-native species? If so when was it introduced into the area and has it caused any conservation issues?

Regards, Gordon

The Ranger replies

The smooth snake is a native reptilian species to England and are highly protected. The were recorded on Yateley Common many years ago and last seen about ten years ago. The last sighting was of a shed skin, not and actual snake.

We do carry out reptile surveys during the warmer months, but have not been luck enough to record one in recent years.

Thank you for your enquiry.



07/03/2016 08:14am


Is the Hospital Pond just too the right of the path to Wyndham's Pool from Cricket Hill Road?

Thank you for your enquiry. Yes, the Hospital Pond, as we call it, is exactly where you state, to the south of the track. It is mentioned in Valerie Kerslake's 'little' book "A Walk on Cricket Hill", earlier being known as School Pond or Boseley's Pond. This book is a very interesting read about this historic area.



14/03/2016 03:59pm

Emma Lucas


I'm trying to find out who owns the verge/bank on Stevens Hill, Yateley. My garden backs on to it and I'm concerned about the holly growing on it. I'd like to cut it back but have been advised by the council to find out who owns it first.

Kind regards

The Ranger replies

Thank you for getting in touch. Stevens Hill has an unusual layout and as such, it is difficult to work out exactly where you mean. Perhaps you could get in touch directly and we may be able to assist you further. Please contact us on 01252 870425 or northern.sites@hants.gov.uk .


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Review Ref. 486933


Write a question


Required fields are marked with a *


Data Protection Act 1998

We will only process your personal data in order to respond to your questions.

" "

Privacy Statement

If you have a Freedom of Information request please redirect to ccbs.foi@hants.gov.uk. Any statutory timeframe will not commence until the request is received at this address.