Qualifying for a Blue Badge
In order to apply to Hampshire County Council for a Blue Badge you must be a resident in Hampshire but, outside the Southampton, Portsmouth and Isle of Wight unitary authorities as they are also responsible for issuing Blue Badges to their residents.
Eligible without further assessment
People who may be issued with a badge without further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following descriptions:
- Receives the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
- Is registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- Receives a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Has been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
- Receives a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award that indicates in the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component that you cannot walk further than 50 metres
Please note: if any of the above awards have been issued for a date less than 3 years in the future your badge will expire on that date.
We will apply a fast-track application process for people who have a terminal illness that seriously limits their mobility.
Eligible subject to further assessment
People who may be issued with a badge after further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following descriptions:
- Drives a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter; or
- Has a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
In addition, children under the age of three may be eligible for a badge if they fall within either or both of the following descriptions:
- A child who, on account of a condition, must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty;
- A child who, on account of a condition, must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be given.
You do not qualify if:
- You have a psychological disorder, learning or behavioural problems. This will not normally qualify you unless your impairment causes very considerable, and not intermittent, difficulty in walking.
- You have a disabling condition that is only temporary, such as a broken leg.
Contact the Blue Badge Unit
Blue Badge and Concessionary Travel
PO Box 696
Phone: 0300 555 1376