Using Your Blue Badge
Always check local signs for possible payment and times you can park.
As a Blue Badge holder it is your responsibility to:
- Use the Blue Badge properly. The badge and its concessions are for your use only. It is a criminal offence for you or anyone else to misuse the badge, and doing so could lead to a £1,000 fine.
- Making sure that the scheme is not abused will benefit genuine badge holders, such as yourself. If you are using the parking concessions as a passenger, it is your responsibility to make sure that the driver is aware of all the rules set out in this leaflet
- Only display the badge if you are travelling in the vehicle as a driver or passenger, or if someone is collecting you or dropping you off and needs to park at the place where you are being collected or dropped
- Not allow other people to use the badge to do something on your behalf, such as shopping or collecting something for you, unless you are travelling with them.
- Never give the badge to friends or family to allow them to park for free, even if they are visiting you
- You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car
- Although it is not illegal for a badge holder, or a non-disabled person waiting for the badge holder to return, to remain in the vehicle while the Blue Badge is displayed, consideration should be given to using a car park whenever possible.
Displaying your badge when using the parking concessions
You should only display the badge when you are using the parking benefits under the Blue Badge scheme.
- You must display the badge on the dashboard or facia panel, where it can be clearly read through the front windscreen.
- If there is no dashboard or facia panel in your vehicle, you must still display the badge in a place where it can be clearly read from outside the vehicle.
- The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol.
- The side showing the photograph should not be visible through the windscreen.
- You must also ensure that the details on the front of the badge remain legible. If they become unreadable through fading or wear and tear, you must return the badge to your local authority so they can issue you with a new one. Displaying a badge that is illegible may result in a parking fine.
Your Blue Badge can be used in all parts of the United Kingdom except some parts of central London.
You can also use your Badge throughout the European Union and in some countries outside Europe. Check the information on the Department for Transport website for the concessions available in each country.
You can use a badge from anywhere in the United Kingdom or European Union in Hampshire.
If you are from outside the European Union and wish to use your badge in Hampshire you must contact the Blue Badge Unit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 0845 603 5633 to request a letter of permission.
Misuse of a Blue Badge
- Misuse of a badge is a criminal offence and can result in a £1000 fine.
- Report suspected misuse to:
Blue Badge and Concessionary Travel
PO Box 696
Phone: 0845 603 5633