Links to research websites
- Bath Information and Data Services - Provides links to the IngentaJournals full text service. Whilst this is an academic database, anyone can search for articles, although access to online journals will require an Athens code. A common problem is finding far too many articles and needing to think carefully about the best key words to use.
- The Campbell Collaboration (C2) - The C2 library will ultimately contain the C2 (RIPE) Register of Systematic Reviews of Interventions and Policy Evaluation. At present the library contains the Campbell Social, Psychological, Education and Criminological Trials Registry (C2-SPECTR), which can be searched for abstracts of randomised trials.
- Centre for Evidence Informed Policy and Practice in Education - This forms part of the Social Science Research Unit at the Institute of Education, University of London. There are links to a database relating to systematic reviews that have been undertaken.
- The Cochrane library - The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews provides summaries of research that has been checked for quality. Although mainly on health topics, reviews carried out by the Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group are also relevant to social care, covering developmental and psychosocial problems of childhood and adolescence.
- Department for Children, Schools and Families - Research commissioned by the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) and the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS), as well as those projects previously undertaken by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES). In most cases the reports and executive summaries can be accessed online. The national education statistics can also be accessed through a related site.
- Department of Health – Publications - This website has many full text articles and publications from the Department of Health. Publications, including statistical reports, surveys, press releases, circulars and legislation, are available in electronic format.
- Education Management Information Exchange - EMIE was the original acronym for this site (which is hosted by NfER) but the service now extends beyond education, to the management of integrated children's services. EMIE provides a range of publications concerning education and children's services, including reports and surveys on current policy and practice, and digests of recent research findings. It is principally aimed at those working in local authorities.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Evidence Network - This site contains a wide variety of material on evidence based policy and practice in the social sciences, including a list of other research databases.
- Google Scholar - Despite the association with Google this site provides exceptionally good access to a range of research papers. Some (but not all) of these can be accessed directly online without an Athens code. It is widely used by undergraduates.
- Home Office - The Home Office website publications pages contain summaries and full text versions of studies related to crime and the criminal justice system (including youth offending), substance abuse, homelessness, asylum seekers and other Home Office issues.
- The National College for School Leadership - The National College for School Leadership is responsible for developing leadership within England's state-maintained schools by providing professional development programmes, strategic initiatives and support and network opportunities.
- National Foundation for Educational Research - The NfER is the UK's leading independent research organisation carrying out research in all sectors of education, from preschool and primary to adult and lifelong learning at national, European and international levels.
- Office for Standards in Education (OfSTED) - This official site provides access to OfSTED publications, inspection reports, statistics and research. Most of the publications can be downloaded online.
- The Research Informed Practice Site - This Department for Children, Schools & Families site is designed for education practitioners. It aims to ensure policy and practices are informed by good and up-to-date evidence. The site includes downloadable research digests.
- Research in Practice - This organisation was jointly founded by the Department of Health and Association of Directors of Social Services to promote evidence-based practice in social care. It is possible to search for research evidence and summaries of key reviews. As Hampshire Children’s Services subscribe to this organisation employees have access to the whole site. To gain the necessary access codes, please contact the research & evaluation team.
- Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) - This site provides access to the electronic Library of Social Care, a database of social care abstracts and SCIE Practice Guidelines.
- TeacherNet Research - This section of TeacherNet is dedicated to education professionals that are interested in all aspects of research. You can find out why research can help you in your teaching practice and how you can get involved.
Please send any queries relating to this site to: HEPS.firstname.lastname@example.org.