Hampshire Educational Psychology

Research Governance

What is Research Governance?

The aim of research governance is to protect those involved in research by ensuring that arrangements are in place to identify and manage the risks involved.

What does Research Governance cover?

If the research requires access to staff, service users (children and young people), parents/carers or data relating to them, it is likely that the study will require approval before it can start. Studies which involve conducting surveys, interviews, focus groups or documentary analysis are likely to be included.

Research being conducted in schools should be directed to the headteachers of the schools involved. The routine collection of data by the local authority as part of normal monitoring arrangements would not constitute research in this sense. If anyone is in doubt, please contact the Research & Evaluation Unit or look at the procedures that explain these distinctions in more detail.There are two separate procedures: