Services for Young Children

Becoming a Registered Childminder in Hampshire

What is a childminder?

A childminder is a person who looks after one or more children for more then a total of two hours a day in their own home, for reward.

What are the benefits to becoming a Registered Childminder?

Childcare worker and children
  • Great job satisfaction that comes with having a positive impact on the learning and development of young children

  • Working for yourself alongside meeting the needs of your family commitments

  • Flexibility - you can set your own working hours and decide how many children you look after

  • You are your own boss and can set your own rates of pay

  • Professional status with the opportunity to gain recognised qualifications and develop skills

  • Sustainability - offering free early years education places to eligible 2, 3 and 4 year olds

  • No childcare costs and no commuting to a place of work costs

What do I need to do to become a Registered Childminder?


Before you apply to the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted) to be registered as a childminder, you must complete a pre-registration course.

There is a course available through Prospects Early Years Services and may also be available through your local FE College or other childcare organisations.

Please contact Prospects Early Years Services or the other providers directly for more information including the cost of their courses.

First Aid


Before registering with Ofsted you must hold a suitable Paediatric First Aid qualification. You can choose which First Aid training provider you go to (preferably one with a nationally approved and accredited first aid qualification or one that is a member of a trade body with an approval and monitoring scheme); but the training must cover the course content as for St John Ambulance or Red Cross Paediatric first aid training and be renewed every three years.

In addition, the course you undertake must meet the requirements as stated in the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, September 2014 (page 21, section 3.25). It states ‘Childminders and any assistant who might be in sole charge of the children for any period of time must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate. Paediatric first aid training must be relevant for workers caring for young children and where relevant for babies’.


Stick characters - adult and child

As the lead practitioner you must attend a child protection course that enables you to identify, understand and respond appropriately to signs of possible abuse and neglect. Providers can choose which organisation they wish to provide the training. The course content must meet the requirements as stated in the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, September 2014 (page 17, section 3.6).

For clarification, the Hampshire Local Safeguarding Children's Board (LSCB) website Training Policy 2015 states that childminders would need a minimum of Level 2/Group 2. Prospects Early Years Service incorporate safeguarding training within their pre-registration course and once you are a registered childminder in Hampshire, Services for Young Children publicise safeguarding training options for continuous professional development at Level 3 and 4.

Disclosure and Barring Service

Children's centre parent and baby group

Before submitting an application to Ofsted to become a registered childminder, all applicants and any other individuals connected with the application must complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check online. They are also required to join the DBS update service. The Ofsted Early Years and Childcare Registration Handbook (reference no 150150) Annex B states ‘Childminder applicants must: where those premises are domestic premises, demonstrate that every person over the age of 16 who lives, works or is to work (whether as an employee or on a voluntary basis), on the premises where, and at the time when, childminding is provided, is suitable to be in regular contact with young children. They must also provide an application for an enhanced DBS check in respect of every person.’ This will form part of your registration process.

Where do I go next?

Toddler with paint on her hand

If you think this might be a career path for you, you should consider some practical aspects of becoming a registered childminder (which include local authority support, marketing, costs/HMRC, working with statutory frameworks, funding/grants).

We recommend that you book onto the Becoming a Registered Childminder Hampshire webinar by contacting Prospects Early Years Service either by telephone 01634 816029 or email  

What happens within the process to become a Registered Childminder?

Childcare worker and children

Your pathway to become a registered childminder is likely to include the following:

  1. Contact Prospects Early Years Service to receive information around the Ofsted requirements for registration and to book onto the next available information webinar to help you decide if childminding is the career for you and your family

  2. Attend and complete pre-registration training, a relevant safeguarding and appropriate Paediatric First Aid courses

  3. Complete Disclosure and Barring Service applications including the update service for everyone who lives or works in the premises

  4. Fill in and submit a health declaration booklet

  5. Apply online using the Ofsted Early Years application form

  6. An Ofsted inspector will visit your home to check whether it is suitable, safe and ready to take children

  7. You will receive your registration certificate and must hold a current Public Liability insurance policy before working with children

The whole registration process can take between three and six months. Please do not start the registration process until you are ready to offer childminding services. if you are not yet living in the house you intend to childmind from, are currently pregnant and not planning on working as a childminder immediately, or are having work done to your house which means that it is not practical to look after children; it is advisable to wait.

If you have already started your journey to become a registered childminder, please contact Prospects Early Years Service for help and support with developing your childminding business on 01634 816029 or email Your Prospects district Quality Adviser will be able to signpost you to local forums, advise and support to keep you up to date.