Services for Young Children

Other childcare careers

Although working as a childminder, in a nursery, pre-school or out of school club, are the most commonly talked about jobs in the childcare sector there are many more.

You could decide to work in a school as a teacher, classroom assistant or learning support assistant.

Hospital playworkers work with sick children and their siblings in hospitals and there is also a need for prison playworkers where they care for the children of visitors.

Community nursery nurses work with families and children (usually from birth to age eight) within community nursing, health visiting and family support teams.

You could also work in a crèche, where you will look after children for short periods of time whilst their parents are on the same premises.

Nannies work looking after children in the parents own homes and often live in. You also could decide to work as a nanny for a family abroad.

Now that all those services for children and their families have been bought to work more closely together, it is easier to move into other fields from childcare. You could work as a health visitor, family support worker, outreach worker, youth worker or social worker. You can draw upon your experiences and qualifications in the childcare sector and with some additional specific training move into a different role.


Useful links

For jobs working in:

  • Hampshire schools as a teacher or teaching assistant
  • the NHS as a midwife, maternity assistant, play specialist or health visitor
  • Hampshire Social Services as a social worker