Services for Young Children

Help with paying for childcare and other family support

When starting or raising a family parents and carers can receive help with costs.

The table below shows what support parents and carers are entitled to, if certain criteria is met.

Click on the 'Paying for childcare' tab, to find out what help is specifically available for this.

Child Benefit

What is it?

  • Payment to support many families with children up to the age of 19 if they are in full time education or approved training.

  • Paid for most children though dependent on whether the individual applying earns £50K or more.

  • Parents earning over £50K might be affected by a tax charge in order to receive the benefit.

How much?

  • £20.70 per week for the eldest child from April 2015.

  • £13.70 per week for each additional child from April 2015.

How to apply


Child Tax Credit

What is it?

  • Payment to support families with children up to the age of 19 if they are in full time education or approved training.

  • If parent singularly (or jointly with a partner) is responsible for at least one child and earns less than £40k it is possible that they are entitled to this.

  • Parents can check online whether they are entitled to tax credits or other benefits.

How much?

  • Dependant on family income.

  • The maximum 'child element' is £2,780 for each child as at 2015/16.

  • Extra help available for a child with a disability.

How to apply

If you are a working parent check out the Working parents section for other support through Tax Credits.

Child (and Working) Tax Credits have started to be replaced by Universal Credit across the Country.

For families there is an Universal Credit questions and answers leaflet.


Early Years Education

See here for further details.


Paying for childcare


Specified Adult Childcare Credits

What is it?

The weekly Class 3 National Insurance credit can be awarded to grandparents and other family members aged 16 or over, but under State Pension age, who care for a child (or children) aged under 12 usually because the child’s parents are working. The parent must be entitled to, but not need, their parents credit (linked to their claim for child benefit) and be willing to pass on the credit to the family member looking after their child.

How to apply

Applications can only be made after the end of the tax year in which they were caring.

There is no upper time limit for applying but it is in the customer’s interest to make a timely application.

Specified Adult Childcare Credits further information


Tax-Free Childcare

See here for further details.