Services for Young Children

Help for one parent families

Work Focused Services

What is it?

If you are bringing up a child alone and get income support, you could join a programme called Work Focused Services for Lone Parents. This programme gives a range of help to lone parents who want to work, including help with childcare costs.

Work Focused Services for Lone Parents can help you with the cost of Ofsted registered childcare while you go to:

  • training courses up to a year long that are approved by your advisor

  • job interviews

  • work trials

How much?

  • A range of support is provided as well as financial assistance including how to apply for help with childcare costs.

How to apply?

Contact your local Jobcentre Plus to arrange an interview or visit your local children's centre for details of Family Advisors.

Further details also available from the Benefit Enquiry Helpline  0800 882200.


In Work Credit

Lone parents are able to access in work benefits, which provides them with up to an extra £60 per week, tax free, if returning to employment.

For information, contact your local Job Centre Plus or telephone 0800 868 868. Further details In Work Credit


General support and information

Sure Start Children's Centres in Hampshire

Other Organisations

Gingerbread/One Parent Families

  • General telephone: 020 7428 5400 (Monday to Friday 9.00am-5.00pm)

  • Lone Parent Helpline: 0800 018 5026 (Monday to Friday 9.00am-5.00pm; free from landlines, mobile rates vary)

  • Website: One Parent Families|Gingerbread

Single Parents UK

Family Lives

Please note: Hampshire County Council does not recommend or endorse any particular service.