Services for Young Children

Help for parents who are students

Students should talk to their college, sixth form or university about the funding that is available to them as there are several ways that financial help can be given, depending on individual circumstances.

Discretionary Learner Support

What is it?

  • Is available in colleges and school sixth forms to help with learning costs

How much?

If eligible, the Discretionary Learner Support can help with:

  • financial hardship and emergencies

  • childcare (Ofsted registered)

  • accommodation costs, for those who have to study further than the maximum distance from home

  • essential course-related equipment, materials and field trips

  • travel costs (for over 18s)

How to apply?

If at a college, speak to the student support or welfare officer.

If in a sixth form, speak to a tutor or the student awards or student support officer.

Proof of income or expenditure will be required when applying.

Visit: Discretionary Learner Support


Advanced Learner Loan (and Bursary Fund)

Visit Advanced Learner Loan


Child Tax Credit

Visit Paying for childcare and other support


Childcare Grant

What is it?

  • for higher education students (university) who need support for childcare costs

How much?

  • if eligible the Childcare Grant could cover up to 85% of your childcare costs during term time and holidays (maximum of £150.23 per week for one child or £257.55 per week for two or more children as @ 2015/16)

  • depends on household income, and the actual costs of childcare.

How to apply?


Parents' Learning Allowance

What is it?

  • for higher education students (university) who need help towards course costs like books, materials and travel

How much?

  • the Parents' Learning Allowance could provide up to £1,573 for 2015/16

  • depends on household income

How to apply?


Professional and Career Development Loans

What is it?

  • A Professional and Career Development Loan can help to fund a wide range of courses lasting up to two years (or three years, if the course includes a year of work experience).

The course doesn’t necessarily have to lead to a qualification, but it must be one that will help with a career. It could be an option for:

·a postgraduate course, like a masters

·technical or management training

·a professional qualification

·a course at a local college or learning provider

·an additional bachelors degree (if already a graduate)

  • A Professional and Career Development Loan to help with:

·course fees (up to 80 per cent of the total - or up to 100 per cent if unemployed for three months)

·other course costs, like books, travel and childcare

·living expenses, like rent, food and clothing (if unemployed or working less than 30 hours per week)

How much?

  • a person can borrow any amount from £300 to £10,000

  • need to agree the size of the loan with the bank before applying. It’s essential to be realistic, and not borrow more than can be repaid.

How to apply?