Services for Young Children

Help for parents aged up to 20 years

Care to Learn

What is it?

If you are a parent under the age of 20 who wants to study or train, you can get help with paying for childcare through 'Care to Learn' funding.

How much?

You can claim for childcare and transport costs of up to £160 per child per week.

How to apply?

Finding childcare

You can choose the type of childcare you prefer, as long as it is Ofsted registered childcare.

If you need more help looking at the different types of childcare available please see our childcare choices pages or call the Family Information Service who will help you find suitable childcare to meet your needs.

Finding a course

For more help with finding a course:


16 - 19 Bursary Fund

What is it?

Help with essential education-related costs if in full time education or training such as:

  • Course Equipment

  • Lunch

  • Transport (to and from school/ college)

How much?

Bursary of £1,200 if:

  • a care leaver

  • claiming Income Support or Universal Credit

  • disabled, and getting Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance

  • other criteria may be considered

How to apply?

Contact the school/ college/ training provider student support service.

Visit: 16 to 19 Bursary Fund


Healthy Start Scheme

See low income/families accessing benefits page for further details.


Hampshire Teenage Pregnancy Partnership

What is it?

Services for young parents or parents to be.

How to find out more?


General information for young parents

Hampshire youth services

The Fatherhood Institute

Family Lives


Housing needs.