Services for Young Children

Are you concerned about your child's development?

As a parent you know your child best and will be aware of how he or she is growing and developing.

Sometimes as a parent, you may become concerned about your child’s development and, when this is the case, it is helpful to know who you can go to for support.

Where to go for help

  • Contact your GP or health visitor to discuss your worries and they will be able to help you decide whether further support is needed.

  • Contact the Solent NHS Children's Therapy Advice Line on 0300 300 2019 for any areas of your child's development.

  • If your child attends a childminder, out of school club, or an early years setting such as a nursery or pre-school, you may wish to discuss your concerns with them.

Early years settings

Every pre-school or nursery is required to have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). This person is a specially trained member of staff who co-ordinates the care of children with additional needs within the setting.

Early years and childcare settings also receive support from an Area Inclusion Co-ordinator (InCo) whose role is to work with the settings to ensure all children, whatever their needs, can be included in a full range of activities and learning experiences.

Further information about identifying special educational needs

You can find further information about identifying special educational needs from the Hampshire SEN Service.