The Role of the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo)
The role of the SENCo is crucial for early years settings in supporting early identification and intervention for children with special educational needs and will be a useful contact for you if you have any concerns about your child’s development.
The SENCo is responsible for:
- co-ordinating a setting's recording and documentation process regarding special educational needs, including individual education plans (IEPs)
- liaising and working with parents
- securing training for workers
- liaising with outside agencies with respect to a child's special educational needs (SEN)
- ensuring a smooth onward transition and planning for moving on to school.