Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) 'Local Offer'
The Hampshire Local Offer website has been co-produced with parents, professionals and young people. You will find up to date information about services and support for children and young people aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs or disabilities.
The Children and Families Act 2014
As part of The Children and Families Act 2014, the Government issued a Green Paper, (a consultation document), which announced that they wanted to improve the special educational needs system. This is to provide better outcomes for children and young people with additional needs and disabilities and to improve the experience of parents/carers when securing support for their children.
As a result The Children and Families Bill was passed through Parliament and received royal assent in March 2014, and will be coming into force from September 2014.
Among the requirements placed on Local Authorities within the Bill, there are two clauses which relate to the provision of information:
- Clause 30 – duty on local authorities to provide information of what services are available.
- Clause 32 – information and advice for parents and young people.
What is the Local Offer?
From September 2014, every Local Authority will be required to publish information about services they expect to be available in their area for children and young people from birth to 25 who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND); and also services outside of the area which they expect children and young people from their area will use. This will be known as the ‘Local Offer’.
The Local Offer will put all the information about education, health and care services, leisure activities and support groups in one place.
It has two main purposes:
- to provide clear, comprehensive and accessible information about the support and opportunities that are available;
- to make provision more responsive to local needs and aspirations.
The Government says that the Local Offer must be developed and reviewed in partnership with children and young people, parent carers and local services including early years settings, schools, colleges, health and social care agencies. This is called ‘co-production’.
People and services commissioned by the Local Authority to support children and young people with special educational needs should complete a Local Offer based on a set of questions which have been developed through co-production; within the framework and guidance produced by the South East Seven (SE7) Local Authorities Government Pathfinder.
Hampshire Local Offer
Local Offers are ‘published’ on the dedicated Hampshire Local Offer website.
Hampshire families and practitioners are able to access information on a range of education, health, adult and child social care services.
What should service providers do?
Early education and childcare providers should develop their own service Local Offers in order to help families to make informed choices for their children and young people.
There are three stages to follow.
Stage 1: Develop a draft Local Offer
Under the section on the right hand side called 'Local Offer Guidance and Resources' there is a guidance on how to do this and a template form for creating your Offer.
If you are funded to provide education (EYE) you need to complete the 'Education Settings' template, following the specific guidance. Other childcare providers need to complete the 'Education Services' template.
There are draft examples of Local Offers on the right hand side column. Please also see details relating to the Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS).
When your Offer has been drafted keep an electronic copy, safely.
Stage 2: Publishing your Local Offer
1. Service Providers need to first 'register' on the Hampshire Local Offer website. Use this link to register. Registration will take up to 3 working days.
2. Once registered service providers will be sent via email a log-on in order to access the website; as well as guidance on how to publish their Local Offer. The guidance includes information on who to contact for help.
3. When uploading of the Offer is complete it will take a further 3 working days for approval to publish. Once approval given the Offer will be live on the website.
Stage 3: Making changes to your published Local Offer
For service providers who have registered and have a log-on there are details for making changes in the ''Adding Your Local Offer to the Hampshire Local Offer Website" guidance 911 kB.
Service providers who have not registered or have a log on though have an Offer published - please contact Parent Voice for further help: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 303 8603.
The Hampshire SEND Local Offer is moving to a new platform as part of a wider Hampshire County Council Children’s Services directory of services and advice which will be active in the summer term.
As a result childcare providers wishing to make urgent changes to their currently published Local Offer can do so at the latest by Tuesday 28 February.
Childcare providers wishing to register and publish a new Local Offer should do this at the latest by Friday 17 February, or wait until April when new registrations can be accepted. Thank you for your patience.
Local Offer Guidance and Resources
- Education Settings (EYE) Guidance 49 kB
- Education Settings (EYE) Form 12 kB
- Education Services (Non EYE) Guidance 50 kB
- Education Services (Non EYE) Form 12 kB
- Add a Local Offer Guidance 911 kB
- EMTAS - SEND Local Offer information 144 kB
- Childminders - Top Ten Tips for publishing 115 kB