Services for Young Children

Qualifying course and funding information

College courses  Download Adobe Reader to view this PDF 113kB

To find qualifying courses in Hampshire please click on the above link. Please note that by clicking on the training provider link you will be taken directly to their website for more information.

Please ensure you check with the College that they are still providing the course you want to undertake.

Guidance on the appropriate level of training

Anyone considering employment in the early years sector should hold GCSE A*-C grade passes in both English and Maths before their employment commences. Existing staff employed at level 2, should be supported to achieve C or above grades in order to progress their career options.

Level 2 courses – For people working with children in assistant roles and under supervision. Level 2 qualifications should be viewed as stepping stones towards a full and relevant Level 3.

Level 3 courses – For people with more experience of working with children, those who work in more specialised areas, alone and unsupervised, and often those who supervise/manage others.

Level 5 courses – These are courses at undergraduate level such as Foundation Degrees. These are equivalent to HE2 (second year of a degree).

Level 6 courses – These will enable you to add credits to your Foundation Degree to achieve either a full ordinary degree (60 credits) or a full honours degree (120 credits). These are equivalent to HE3 (final/honours year of a degree).

Having achieved a full Level 6 you may decide to undertake Early Years Teacher status, however you must have English/English Language, Maths and Science at GCSE Grade C or above and complete the required online assessments before applying.

*You can check the validity of all existing qualifications by following this link

Funding your training


If you/your staff require qualifications at Level 2, Level 3, Level 5 or Level 6 it will be necessary to self fund or take out a Student Loan. Your local college/training provider will be able to provide you with more information about a Student Loan. You may find these links useful.

More information about achieving ITT Early Years Teacher status


What do I do next?

  • Find a short term CPD course

Need any help?