You are hereHantsweb HomeChild protection

Children's Services

Child Protection

Child protection

What is child abuse?

Child abuse falls into four categories: physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse and neglect.

What you should do if you think a child is being abused

If you have any concerns because you think that a child might be being abused and you want to talk to someone or ask someone to find out what is going on, you should contact the Children’s Services Department.

  • During office hours (8.30am – 5:00pm) - you should contact Children's Services: 0300 555 1384

  • At all other times you should contact the out-of-hours Service: 0300 555 1373

If this line is engaged you will be put through to an answerphone. Leave your name and number and we will call you back as quickly as possible.

For all emergency situations call 999.

If you think a child or young person under the age of 18 has been or is being abused by a person in a position of trust, contact the County Council's Allegations Officer.